A mango on my table. I look at it, hold it in my palm and suddenly, the key to my cave of remembrance opens thyself and I let myself in. It takes me back to a Malayalam poem that never failed to humble my own existence in this world. Of the need of living each moment of our life, the impact our words have on others, to become effortlessly self less, a compassion for life around us, an ability to forgive and to always carry that beacon of love in our hearts - a love so simple and pure, a love that holds no rhyme or reason, a love that outshines the demons of our minds.
'Mambazham' is one of the famous poem written in Malayalam by the renowned late Sri Vailloppily Sreedhara Menon.
When the first ripe mango falls from the tree in her courtyard, the mother sheds tears. She had yearned for that mango tree to bear fruits for months and finally when it did, her lil one plucks those buds and comes running to her, delightedly telling her that the flowers have bloomed and shows it to her with pride.The mother gets angry and reprimands him. His eyes wells up, his bright face cast down and he tells her, "Amma, I will not come help you pick the mangoes for sure".
'Lil ones, who cannot even string words together, are Gods in their own rights, for they can foresee the future', Vailloppilly writes.
That summer, her lil one, without waiting for the mangoes to ripe, departs from the world.
Now, the mother sees the neighborhood children make merry under the mango tree, building toy houses under its shade, plucking mangoes and savoring them with relish.Darkness envelopes her and tears blinds her sight.
She then walks and stands near the earth where her son is buried and lay down a few flowers and mangoes and tells him that these are for you, my love."My dear lil one, how many times have I scolded you and how many times you have come back to me with nary a sorrow?", she asks."Why can't you come back to me now, my love, my life, my lil one?".
A gentle breeze wafts by and she feels her lil one's soul embracing her....
13 comments:
hmmm...
Chithu led me to your blog. A 13-storey apartment block now marks the memories of the Kalyani Mandiram home. It meant several things for me - electricity office, desolate house, chocalate factory, NRI nilayam, the alzheimic walks of your-writer grandfather, that unforgettable night of Hindu-Jewish touristy wedding with elephants and Kathakali. I never believed in the writer gene. But I think I have to reverse my stand. It does flow through blood.
aha...it is the gene...I think I gave you some unnecessary credits...from now on all credits go to Upsi's grandpa..:)
This brought tears:(
Beautiful.
*sigh*
I came too, and I too could not leave without saying something.
This was beautiful: in the way only truly personal pain that leaves behind a lesson for life , can be. Thank you for sharing the poem.
that made the tears prick. And now I need to read this poem in mallu.
Can u tel me the name of one sachidanandan poem on death- it started with oru kai kudanna niraye nilavu.. I think... read it long back , somewhere, have been wanting to read those lines again.. forgot the title, so unable to source it.
Ur G'pa was a writer? Wow!
This brought tears Upsi. Sigh.
..i am waiting for your next post...why so long.....?????
Never came by to convey my congrats! Congratulations on your baby boy!
*knock knock*
Anybody there? :)
here only sue...
And how are you? How are the kids?
Post a Comment