Friday, March 28, 2008

Stop. Please honk.

Among the lot, I like V the best. She borders on insanity and that by itself, scores her my brownie points. Plus, she shares her cinnamon rolls with me and if there is only one left and she is equally craving for it, she will 'accidentally' cut it unequally and offer me the bigger 'half'.

And today was her birthday. Which we knew atleast a month ago. As is the norm on birthdays, the girls will get together, pick a place for lunch and another place for 'deserts only' and crawl back to our office space after two hours of official lunch break. But V, being V, proclaimed that she wanted her 54th birthday to be special. I asked her if she is dying and if so, what her last wish would be. Not her last wish, but one of her wishes, she said, is to visit India. With me. I told her that is not happening, she can go to India, sans my company. We left that conversation at that, to proceed to the details for her self-proclaimed special birthday. This time, she wants to take us all, to a surprise location. She will drive and we will haul ourselves into her wagon to be driven to this rendezvous lunch place.

No post on V will leave the box without the mention of her husband, Kev. An established lawyer, pots of money. Mentioned his obsessiveness with Indian food. Oh really?, I asked. And then offered onion-methi bajji's, that I prepared. Used crushed red chillies and fresh green chillies. After a good greedy bite into one bajji, his whole face turned beet red. Mango laasi was then hurriedly offered, which he gulped in two seconds. Spoonfuls of sugar, and lamaze breathing. He forgave me. A sweetheart of a man.

V mentioned that she is also inviting Kev, his law partner Stacey and her new boy friend, Ryan for the birthday luncheon. So there I was, thinking she is taking us to an expensive sushi joint or maybe a high end cho-co-lat factory....some place, where I was sure I will be billed half my monthly salary. That evening, I casually mentioned to Mr. Upsi that, 'oh btw, I will be going out for V's birthday lunch tomorrow", dripped in pomp and splendour.

I chose my attire for the day carefully. Don't want to look too Average Jane, do I? A little blush and heels would help me blend in to the crowd she will be taking us.

It was noon already and we were jam packed in her car, cooing 'oh where are you taking us?, pray tell!". I noticed that the rest of the girls were also dressed up for the occasion. Ha. I am smart, afterall.

The car screeched halt. "We are here, ladies". I look around, and see trucks all around. Dusty road. Viola! She took us to a truck stop. Truck stop - where the truck drivers, the truckers, stop by for rest and relaxation. Of course.The food, I was later told, was invarialy good at truck stops. V and Kev come here often, it seems.

We walk in to the front door, and is greeted by smoke. And men, middle aged men with pot bellies, beard and a cigar. Another few with one foot already on their graves. Couple of cowboy boots and hats. Most probably took a shower when the Halley's comet was last spotted. A whistle or two, as we walk past these gentlemen. "Sit wherever you feel like, y'all", I turn back to find the waitress. A well endowed woman (front and rear) in her forties, wearing a super tight Tee, five sizes too small, exposing most of her mid section, juggling mass of flesh and oh, the Tee bursting with her buxom, says "wish you were here". Which I am sure, most of the patrons did. I might have had that deer-in the-headlights look, when V shook me and asked me to place the order. The other waitress was better toned, and kept calling me 'honey' and 'chica'. The only thing, I think, the place lacked,
was a good defeaning dose of 'choli ke peeche'.

And I tell you, y'all, what a boost of cofidence you acquire, after having a couple of these real tough truck men call you, hot. Just what a mother of a 2 y old with sagging unmentionables should hear. They might be a little over the hill, so what, so is George Clooney.

C'est la vie.

20 comments:

rayshma said...

btw, why will u not go with her to india, eh?!
umm... also, i'm reconsidering ur food offer, now.. i don't eat spicy food! and i don't know lamaze.

PoP said...

Sorry for the Interruption...A perfect place for an Item song
"Thotta Betta rottu mela Mutta Barotta, Nee thottukida Chicken Tharataaa?"
Sorry, I could not stop picturing the situation with out an Item song.

A perfect Item song with the waitress as the lead and all Old Cow boys dancing around the SHY you, all in the center of parked trucks. While V and Kev Cheering you all...WOW Upsi

Just Like That said...

LOL. You have an awesome sense of humour :-) c'est la vie indeed.

gee said...

Yo! why didn't you mention 'the other' place that was visited after lunch? Perhaps in the next post? :)

Anusha said...

LOL! this is vintage Upsi :) how was the food? (not like that matters but heck, you had to eat after all that didn't you!)

upsilamba said...

Raysh: Three weeks of vac: visiting in-laws, temples, relatives and neighbours, shopping for return gifts. Time to enjoy yourself at home - 30 mnts daily, when you are at the loo.
And you are asking me to haul an Angrezi for her sight seeing? Bah.

Pop: Cut. Cut. Cut. Let the Thalieyvar direct. You please stick to make up-ing the artists.

JLT: yes, yes, an awful sense.

Gee, my darling: Fyi - Kanchana was asking for you, at the 'other place'.

KM: did you just call me OLD?
Asking what food I had, bah. The feast was for the eyes, KM, for the eyes.

IBH said...

Nair teaching pathetic Mal isnt he? :) my mal is far better than his tamil, i would say *ahem!ahem!* :)

coming back to this post...LOL..absly...love the way u write :)

IBH said...

oh btw, Kaju is yet to turn 2...she is running a strong 18th month :) but a concerning factor is she is yet to speak anything coherently :(

Sukhaloka said...

Hahahaha... lovely intro to your blog!

Anonymous said...

IB: The Lil One is yet to speak coherently. So is couple of kids his age I know of. You should know, it's not a fretting factor.
She will get there.

Suki: :-) welcome.

rayshma said...

u spend 30 minutes in the loo???
and heyy... was george clooney there?
sigh!

Trishna said...

hahahahaaha I love the way you write,Upsi.. I was smiling all through the post.. I think you should update your blog more often!

Me said...

where is this place ....I will visit it...

..oh just for a boost in confidence that i don't have any pot belly...nothing else..

By Deepa and Supriya said...

Gawd, you are funny woman!!...maybe i'll go to that truck stop u mention :)

and dont even get started on the mother of 2 yr with sagging whatever....u are gorgeous and in great shape!!

By Deepa and Supriya said...

Upsi,
didn't realize Niki's bday was today..Happy b'day to him!

Just Like That said...

Happy B'dya to the Lil One. :-) God bless him with all things nice.

Me said...

happy b'day lil one...

Upsi..you should come up with a cool online name for your kid..if we keep calling him lil one for long...i am sure he is going to kick us...

Sunita said...

Belated Happy Birthday lil Upsi.
Wish you happiness & good health life long

Arunima said...

he he he

Mystic Margarita said...

First-timer here. Wonderful post - you have a great sense of humor. :) And a belated b'day to the Li'l One! :)

 

Free CursorsMyspace LayoutsMyspace Comments